SharePoint 2013 : How to repair a broken Search component at low cost

sharepoint 2013
sharepoint 2013
Once upon a time, after a whole server farm reboot, one of my search component was broken. Content crawling was taking forever, and the ULS were not very explicit. In the central administration, I could see this :

SharePoint Components
SharePoint Components

My application server was unable to run the “Content Processing Component”, even if I restart the whole search service (net stop / start OSearch15).

I noticed 2 things that drove me to the solution :
– First, a noderunner.exe process was missing. This confirmed the red cross in the central administration. There was 2 processes instead of 3 (the crawler doesn’t spawn a noderunner.exe process) :

SharePoint Search Processes
SharePoint Search Processes

– On the second hand, there was strictly no logs in the “\15.0\Data\Office Server\Applications\Search\Nodes\\ContentProcessingComponent” directory !

It was like the search topology was ignoring this component. So I decided to re-install the search topology, just by cloning it, and activating it :


$searchApp = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication

$initialTopology = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -SearchApplication $searchApp -Active

$cloneTopology = New-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -SearchApplication $searchApp -Clone -SearchTopology $initialTopology

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -Identity $cloneTopology -SearchApplication $searchApp

And it works, without any service interruption !

SharePoint Components
SharePoint Components

Comments are closed.