Which DLL are used by a process ?

Sometimes, you need to move or update a DLL file, but you receive an error message saying : « Access denied ».
It’s not always a file access right problem.
Mayby this library is currently used by a process. To found out which one, just type use the tasklist command in a DOS / Powershell prompt :

tasklist /m my_dll.dll

Simple !

Clap de fin pour Nantes en Direct…

Clap de fin pour Nantes en Direct…

C’est fini pour l’application « Nantes en Direct » que j’avais développé en 2012… pour Windows Phone !
A l’époque je n’étais pas satisfait des agrégateurs d’actualité, j’avais donc décidé de m’en charger ^_^

L’appli s’appelait « Nantes Live » au début, mais j’ai du changer car la société « France Live » revendiquait le droit d’utiliser les noms des villes suivis de « live » pour leurs applis…
En 2015 je sors la version Android (et iOS, mais le développement sur Mac m’a rebuté, et je l’ai vite retirée).
Depuis il y a eu plus de 10 000 téléchargements, dont 2/3 sur Android !
Je décide d’arrêter, car je n’ai plus le temps de gérer les bugs et les évolutions des sites d’information que je dois surveiller. Etant parti de Nantes, la maintenance est d’autant plus difficile.
J’estime à environ 500 utilisateurs quotidiens, auxquels j’envois toutes mes excuses pour cette rupture brutale du signal.
Merci à tous, et merci pour vos remarques qui m’ont permis d’enrichir cette petite appli bien pratique, qui m’accompagnait au quotidien durant ma vie nantaise.
Bye !

Create a link that initiates a Nintex Workflow associated to a Document Set

Nintex Switzerland
It’s been a long time since my last post !
I’ve moved to Geneva for a new job, but I’m still on SharePoint and other Microsoft stuff 🙂

Nintex is used a lot in Switzerland. I had an issue about creating a client-side script that initiates a workflow. I did not manage to do it with « StartWorkflow » from workflow.asmx. As usual with document sets, a specific treatment is needed.

So, this is the link that you can use :
/_layouts/15/NintexForms/InitiateWorkflow.aspx?List={xxx}&ID={yyy}&ItemGuid={zzz}&WorkflowName=MyNintexWorkflow

Where xxx is the list Guid, yyy is the document set ID (as displayed in docsethomepage.aspx?ID=yyy), and yyy is the UniqueId of the document set.

SharePoint : How to filter an external data XsltListViewWebPart in SharePoint Designer ?

sharepoint 2013
sharepoint 2013
Context : You use Business Data Connectivity to retrieve external data in SharePoint, and you wish to display a filtered view of this data in a page.
In SharePoint Designer, you insert a Data View of that external data.

Then, there are 2 ways to filter it :

  • By using the « Filter » button in the office ribbon :
SharePoint Designer Filter
SharePoint Designer Filter

This actually generates a CAML query :

SharePoint_BDC_Filter_External_Data_2

  • By passing a parameter to the finder method of the BDC Model. You can do this manually or by using the « Search » button :

SharePoint_BDC_Filter_External_Data_1b

It generates this code in the View element :

SharePoint_BDC_Filter_External_Data_3

You should use the second solution. Why ? We could consider the CAML query as a « front-end » filter. It means that ALL the records are sent by the BDC, and then the CAML query filter it.
If you retrive thousands of records, it can affect performances.

If you pass a parameter directly to the BDC (finder method), the request sent to the external source will be filtered, and SharePoint will have to deal with less data.

Maybe you will have to create a new finder method in your BDC, but it worth the time spent on it !

SharePoint 2013 : How to repair a broken Search component at low cost

sharepoint 2013
sharepoint 2013
Once upon a time, after a whole server farm reboot, one of my search component was broken. Content crawling was taking forever, and the ULS were not very explicit. In the central administration, I could see this :

SharePoint Components
SharePoint Components

My application server was unable to run the « Content Processing Component », even if I restart the whole search service (net stop / start OSearch15).

I noticed 2 things that drove me to the solution :
– First, a noderunner.exe process was missing. This confirmed the red cross in the central administration. There was 2 processes instead of 3 (the crawler doesn’t spawn a noderunner.exe process) :

SharePoint Search Processes
SharePoint Search Processes

– On the second hand, there was strictly no logs in the « 15.0DataOffice ServerApplicationsSearchNodesContentProcessingComponent » directory !

It was like the search topology was ignoring this component. So I decided to re-install the search topology, just by cloning it, and activating it :


$searchApp = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication

$initialTopology = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -SearchApplication $searchApp -Active

$cloneTopology = New-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -SearchApplication $searchApp -Clone -SearchTopology $initialTopology

Set-SPEnterpriseSearchTopology -Identity $cloneTopology -SearchApplication $searchApp

And it works, without any service interruption !

SharePoint Components
SharePoint Components